I am an associate professor of philosophy at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.
My work so far has focused primarily in epistemology (especially questions about knowledge and questions about the apriori), philosophy of language (especially questions about context-sensitivity), and philosophy of mind (especially questions about imagination and questions about intentionality).
I am currently focusing on issues having to do with the normativity of epistemology—in particular, whether there are 'positive' epistemic norms that actively require belief, rather than merely negative ones that prohibit it—and on connections between analytic epistemology and feminist ideas, especially relating to rape culture.
I blog occasionally—sometimes about philosophy.
- The Rules of Thought. Co-authored with Benjamin Jarvis. Oxford University Press 2013. (Paperback edition 2016.) A monograph articulating a Fregean theory of content, with applications to the epistemology of the a priori, and a discussion of the role of intuitions in philosophy. OUP's product page.
- The Routledge Handbook of Epistemic Contextualism. Taylor & Francis 2017. An edited volume containing 37 original articles on contextualism. More information here.
- Contextualising Knowledge: Epistemology and Semantics. Oxford University Press 2017.Articulates and defends a synthesis of (a) knowledge-first epistemology and (b) contextualism about knowledge ascriptions. More information here. (Errata list here.) OUP's product page.
Selected Papers/Chapters forthcoming or in progress:
- Internalism, Factivity, and Sufficient Reason. (draft) Research paper arguing that externalist approaches to reasons needn't imply externalism about reasonability.
- Basic Knowledge First. (draft) Research paper arguing for a special, metaphysically privileged, category of basic knowledge. Develops themes from Timothy Williamson's knowledge-first epistemology, and integrates several ideas from different parts of Contextualising Knowledge.
- Hybrid Virtue Epistemology and the A Priori. Co-authored with Benjamin Jarvis. (draft) Research paper defending a combination of a virtue-theoretic and belief-based approach. Follows up themes from The Rules of Thought.
- On Putting Knowledge 'First'. Co-authored with Carrie Jenkins. (draft) Research paper clarifying the 'knowledge first' project.